87-5-702. Definitions. For purposes of this part, the following definitions apply:
(1) "Controlled exotic wildlife" means species placed on the controlled exotic wildlife list under 87-5-707 that may be imported, possessed, or sold only pursuant to commission and department rules and an authorization permit provided for in 87-5-705(2).
(2) "Domestic animal" means an animal that, through long association with humans, has been bred to a degree that has resulted in genetic changes affecting color, temperament, conformation, or other attributes of the species to an extent that makes the animal unique and distinguishable from wild individuals of the species and that is readily controllable if accidentally released into the wild. The term includes livestock, as defined in 81-2-702, dogs, cats, rodents, Eurasian ferrets, and poultry.
(3) "Exotic wildlife" means a wildlife species that is not native to Montana.
(4) "Feral" means the appearance of an animal and any offspring that have escaped captivity and become wild.
(5) "Importation" means the act of receiving, bringing or having brought, or shipping into the state for a person's temporary or permanent residence or domicile any wildlife from a location outside the state.
(6) "Introduction" means the release from captivity or attempt to release from captivity, intentional or otherwise, wildlife from outside the state into the wild within the state.
(7) "Native wildlife" means a species or subspecies of wildlife that historically occurred in Montana and that has not been introduced by humans or has not migrated into Montana as a result of human activity.
(8) "Noncontrolled exotic wildlife" means animal species traditionally sold or kept as pets and includes animals listed in 87-5-706 or animals that are added to the list in 87-5-706 by commission rule.
(9) "Possession" means to own or have control over an animal for personal use or resale.
(10) "Prohibited exotic wildlife" means animal species placed on the list provided in 87-5-704(3)(a) that may not be imported, possessed, or sold.
(11) "Transplantation" means the release of or attempt to release, intentional or otherwise, wildlife from one place within the state into another part of the state.
(12) (a) "Wildlife" means any wild mammal, bird, reptile, amphibian, fish, mollusk, crustacean, or other wild animal or the egg, sperm, embryo, or offspring of the wild animal.
(b) The term does not include domestic animals.