80-10-101. Definitions. As used in this chapter, the following definitions apply:
(1) "Brand" means a term, design, or trademark used in connection with one or several grades of commercial fertilizer.
(2) "Blending" means the physical mixing or combining, including mixing through simultaneous or sequential application, of any combination of materials to produce a uniform mixture of:
(a) one or more fertilizer materials with one or more filler materials; or
(b) two or more fertilizer materials.
(3) (a) "Commercial fertilizer" includes any substance containing one or more recognized plant nutrients that is used for its plant nutrient content and that is designed for use or claimed to have value in promoting plant growth, yield, or quality of the crop.
(b) Commercial fertilizer includes the following types of fertilizer:
(i) Bulk fertilizer is commercial fertilizer, dry or liquid, that is distributed in nonpackage form or in containers of greater than 1,000 pounds.
(ii) Fertilizer material is commercial fertilizer that either:
(A) contains important quantities of not more than one of the primary plant nutrients;
(B) has 85% or more of its plant nutrient content present in the form of a single chemical compound; or
(C) is derived from a plant or animal residue or byproduct or a natural material deposit that has been processed in such a way that its content of primary plant nutrients has not been materially changed except by purification and concentration.
(iii) Mixed fertilizer is commercial fertilizer, dry or liquid, that contains any combination or mixture of fertilizer materials.
(iv) Specialty fertilizer is commercial fertilizer, dry or liquid, that is distributed primarily for nonfarm use and includes commercial fertilizers used for research or experimental purposes.
(4) "Custom blend" means a fertilizer blended according to specifications provided to a blender in a soil test nutrient recommendation or to meet a specific consumer request prior to blending.
(5) "Deficiency" means the amount of nutrient found by analysis to be less than that guaranteed. Deficiency may result from a lack of nutrient ingredients or a lack of uniformity.
(6) "Distribute" means to offer for sale, sell, barter, or otherwise supply commercial fertilizers or soil amendments.
(7) "Grade" means the percentages of total nitrogen, available phosphate, and soluble potash stated in whole numbers in the same terms, order, and percentages as in the guaranteed analysis. Specialty fertilizers may be guaranteed in fractional units of less than 1% of total nitrogen, available phosphate, and soluble potash. Fertilizer materials, bonemeal, manures, and similar materials may be guaranteed in fractional units.
(8) "Guaranteed analysis" means the minimum percentage of plant nutrients as described in 80-10-102.
(9) "Investigational allowance" means an allowance for variations inherent in the taking, preparation, and analysis of an official sample of fertilizer.
(10) "Label" means the display of all written, printed, or graphic matter on a container or a statement accompanying a fertilizer or soil amendment.
(11) "Labeling" means all written, printed, or graphic matter on or accompanying any fertilizer or soil amendment and advertisements, brochures, websites, posters, and television and radio announcements used in promoting the sale of a fertilizer or soil amendment.
(12) "Licensee" means a person licensed under 80-10-202.
(13) "Local legislation" means but is not limited to any ordinance, motion, resolution, amendment, regulation, or rule adopted by a political subdivision.
(14) "Manufacture" means the formulation, mixing, blending, or further processing of commercial fertilizers or soil amendments.
(15) "Manufacturer" means a person who manufactures commercial fertilizer or soil amendments.
(16) "Official sample" means any sample of commercial fertilizer taken by the department and designated as official by the department.
(17) "Other ingredients" means nonsoil amending ingredients present in soil amendments.
(18) "Percent or percentage" means the percentage by weight.
(19) "Person" means an individual, partnership, association, firm, or corporation.
(20) "Political subdivision" means any local government entity, including but not limited to any city, county, town, or municipal corporation and any other corporate or political body that is responsible for government activities in a geographic area smaller than the state.
(21) "Primary nutrient" means the total nitrogen (N), available phosphate (P 2O 5), and soluble potash (K 2O).
(22) "Registrant" means the person who registers a commercial fertilizer or a soil amendment.
(23) (a) "Soil amendment" means any substance that is intended to improve the physical or chemical characteristics of soil.
(b) The term does not include commercial fertilizers, unmanipulated animal or vegetable manures, pesticides, and other ingredients that are exempted from the definition by rule.
(24) "Supplier" means a person who distributes fertilizers or soil amendments into Montana.
(25) "Ton" means a net weight of 2,000 pounds.
(26) "Unmanipulated animal or vegetable manures" means substances composed primarily of excreta, plant remains, or mixtures of those substances that have not been processed in any manner, including the addition of plant nutrients, drying, grinding, and other means.