Montana State Legislature
Updated Items in Bold!
Overall Schedule of Legislative Committee Meetings, Training, and Legislator Opportunities (as of 1/12/20) - Updated!
SB 310 Study on the Legislature: Legislator and Public Comment Sought on January 14, 2020, 8 a.m., Room 137
See Flyer! NEW!
Detailed Schedule of Tuesday January 14, 2020 (as of 12/20/19)
- On Tuesday, space will be limited in Room 317 of the State Capitol. There will be space for the public and interested parties in Room 303 of the Capitol Building where the proceedings in Room 317 will be streamed live. When public comment is taken Tuesday afternoon, the public will be routed through Room 317 to provide comments. NEW! (12/20/19)
- Montana's Changing Demographics
- Data Interactive Tool
- " Building An Effective State Education System: There’s No Time To Lose ." by Michelle Exstrom, NCSL Education Group Director, from Tuesday morning
- Revenue, Budget, and Infrastructure Update Slides (Tuesday morning)
- State and Local Government Trends Slides (Tuesday afternoon)
Wednesday Breakout Session Agendas (as of 12/20/19): Reference Materials added on 1/7-10/20 (not all will be covered in the sessions, some are just good reference material!)
- Revenue (8 am, Rm 152)
- Public Safety (8 am, Rm 137) - (12/31)
- Infrastructure (8 am Rm 172)
(8 am, Rm 102)
- Pension Overview - preflight briefing
- PERS Funding History Numbers Table
- Funding Policy and Montana's Public Pensions
- Montana's Public Pensions: Where We've Been (11/2018)
- Summary of FY2018- 2019 Public Retirement System Actuarial Valuations and Summary Tables (aka Green Sheets)
- S & P Global Ratings Report
- Brookings Public Finance Report
- Hidden Debt, Hidden Deficits
- Elizabeth Wiley Actuarial Risks Presentation
- Greg Mennis, PEW, Evaluating Pension Risk
- State Revenue (10:15 am, Rm 152)
- Health & Human Services (10:15 a.m., Rm 137)
Natural Resources & Environment
(10:15 am, Rm 172)
- Aquatic Invasive Species Funding
- Chronic Wasting Disease Status Report
- Coal Industry Trends and Risks
- Colstrip -- A Snapshot of revenue impacts of the 2020 closure of Colstrip Units 1 & 2
- Colstrip -- A Timeline
- Colstrip Units 1 & 2 Closure Updated Revenue Memo (Dept. of Revenue, 9/2019)
- Coal Severance Tax Trust Fund Brochure (2018)
- State Taxation of Natural Resources
- Local Trends (10:15 am Rm 102)
- Other Social Events by Outside Parties (to have your information added here, please email firstname.lastname@example.org) (Updated 1/3/2020)
- Information on the Legislative Dinner on Tuesday, January 14, 2020: Best Western Great Northern Hotel, 6 p.m. (11/20/19) (For legislators)
- Lodging: Hotels blocks information (11/26/19)
- Regarding reimbursement: The Legislative Council approved salary and lodging for legislators to attend the Tuesday and Wednesday sessions. Legislative Committees that are scheduled to meet will pick up their ordinary expenses. If you are not on a legislative committee that is meeting that week, we will reimburse mileage.
- There will be opportunities for public comment at legislative meetings -- see agendas for details!
- To provide comments or receive further information, please email email@example.com or call (406) 444-3066.
January 13th-17th, 2020
The Legislative Council and the Legislative Finance Committee are sponsoring a Legislative Week this January when all legislators will be invited to get together, receive training. Tuesday and Wednesday are scheduled for all legislators to attend training sessions. Many interim committees are meeting on Monday, Wednesday afternoon, Thursday, and Friday providing an opportunity for legislators that are not on the committees to attend.
The purpose is to bring legislators together to “cross-pollinate” and provide opportunities to receive some additional training and share information. It is also being held in conjunction with the study in Senate Bill No. 310 that is looking into annual sessions and we thought giving a chance to meet in January 2020 is a small way to try on meeting every year.