Montana State Legislature
Interim Budget Committee Section F
- Dec. 15, 2021
- June 15, 2022
- Dec. 7, 2022
- Rep. Hopkins, chair
- Sen. Cuffe, vice chair
- Sen. Boldman
- Rep. Hamilton
- Sen. Smith
- Rep. Vinton
- Katy Callon, LFD
- Christine Hultin, OBPP
Meeting minutes & videos will be posted here.
Project status map will be posted here.
Written public comment will be posted here.
The Interim Budget Committees are authorized by HB 497. The committee duties are outlined in section 4:
(1) Each interim budget committee in [section 1(2)(a) through (2)(e)] shall:
(a) oversee the expenditures included in the budget for the agencies overseen by the interim budget committees established in [section 1];
(b) review implementation of new programs by the agencies overseen by the interim budget committees established in [section 1] that were approved by the legislature immediately preceding the interim;
(c) review programs discussed in the respective subcommittee during the legislative session;
(d) review quarterly expenditures and budget transactions and compare those transactions to the budget adopted by the legislature;
(e) report budget observations and recommendations to the legislative finance committee at each quarterly meeting; and
(f) forward any recommendations for proposed legislation to the legislative finance committee or relevant interim committee and may not directly request legislation.
(2) Beginning in September of each odd-numbered year, each interim budget committee in [section 1(2)(a) through (2)(e)] shall meet within the week prior to the quarterly legislative finance committee meetings.
(3) Beginning in September of each odd-numbered year, the interim budget committee provided for in [section 1(2)(f)] shall meet each December and June within the week prior to the quarterly legislative finance committee meetings to review project status implementation throughout the interim and report budget considerations and recommendations to the legislative finance committee.
(4) The legislative fiscal division shall:
(a) provide staff assistance to the interim budget committees; and
(b) keep accurate records of the activities and proceedings of each interim budget committee.
(5) If an interim budget committee produces a report or receives a report from an agency, the report must also be provided to the appropriate interim committee that has agency oversight over the subject matter discussed in the report.
(6) The legislative finance committee may delegate specific studies or analysis to an interim budget committee and must consider all recommendations for potential legislation