Montana State Legislature
Montana Legislator Compensation
How legislators are compensated, or paid, for their work as public officials is outlined in Title 5, Part 2 of the 2021 Montana Code Annotated.
- SALARY RATE - $104.86/day (Equivalent to $13.11/hour).
- PER DIEM RATE (Session) - $171.00/day.
- TRAVEL RATES (Caucus/Orientation/Interim) -
NOTE: rates listed are as of 01/01/2023 (certain rates change annually).
- Meals – $8.25(B)/ $9.25(L)/ $16.00(D)
- Lodging, Helena - $107.00 (plus applicable taxes)
- Mileage - $0.665/mile (updated 01/01/2023)
- Air Transportation - $1.16/nautical mile
- PLEASE NOTE - All requests for reimbursement (session mileage, interim committees, constituent services) must be received by 10AM on the Monday following the pay period end date ( see calendar).
For more information about salary and compensation, contact Legislative Financial Services at (406) 444-3411.