Montana State Legislature
Department of Agriculture
DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE
Christy Clark, Director
The Montana Department of Agriculture (MDA) operates more than 30 programs, many funded entirely through user fees. These include regulatory programs that protect producers, consumers and the environment, as well as development and marketing programs to foster growth in Montana agriculture. The Director's Office also serves as an advocate for Montana agriculture in national and international forums and works to make the department's programs accessible to the public.
- The Agricultural Development Division is responsible for administering programs that promote and enhance Montana agriculture. Within the division are four bureaus:
- Rural Development Bureau
- Wheat and Barley Bureau
- Agricultural Marketing and Business Development Bureau
- Montana State Grain Laboratory Bureau
- The Agricultural Sciences Division provides agricultural, public and environmental services and protection through administration of the Montana laws and rules. Cooperative agreements with the USDA, Food and Drug Administration and Environmental Protection Agency provide services and jurisdiction in areas of interstate and international movement of plant materials, produce and feed; enforcement of FDA rules to prevent transmission of BSE disease in cattle; and the regulation of pesticide sales, use and production in Montana.
- The Central Services Division provides accounting, budgeting, computer programming, fiscal management, human resources, payroll and benefits, public information, purchasing, property control, records management, systems analysis, training, website administration and legal support to all programs within the department.
Boards or other entities assigned to the Department of Agriculture
|With appointments by the Governor||With appointments by the Department|
|Board of Hail Insurance||Noxious Weed Management Advisory Council|
|Montana Agricultural Development Council||Montana Noxious Weed Seed Free Forage Advisory Council|
|Montana Alfalfa Seed Committee||Organic Commodity Advisory Council|
|Montana Wheat and Barley Committee||Montana Potato Advisory Council|
|Montana Pulse Crop Advisory Committee|
|Advisory Council on Special Pesticide Problems|
Financial-Compliance Audit, 19-21, May 2020. No recommendations.
The committee authorized the following agency proposed legislation:
- Eliminate Noxious Weed See Free forage Advisory Council, their duties to be assumed by Noxious Weed Management Advisory Council
- Transfer Montana Aquatic Invasive Species Act out of Title 80 to DNRC
- Repeal Montana Huckleberry Products Law
- Repeal Licensing of Hucksters
- Update and Consolidate Department of Agriculture Duties