Montana State Legislature
Governor's Office of Economic Development
GOVERNOR'S OFFICE OF ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT
Mark Blasdel, Director
The Governor's Office of Economic Development targets business retention and recruitment, workforce development, technology development, infrastructure improvement, and permitting and regulatory processes. The office may contract with or employ policy specialists to carry out program goals or assist the Chief Business Development Officer.
The Chief Business Development Officer helps provide, along with the office, a vision and direction through the development of strategies and initiatives to ensure orderly, effective development of the state's economy, and:
- advises the Governor on policy issues related to economic development
- leads the state's business recruitment, retention, and expansion efforts
- coordinates the development and distribution of a statewide strategic development plan
- serves as the state's primary liaison with federal, state, and local agencies, Montana tribal governments, private, nonprofit economic development organizations, and the private sector
- serves (or appoints someone in the office to serve) on the State-Tribal Economic Development Commission
- Note: This appointment is currently vacant on the Commission
- Performance Audit, December 2004. A recommendation was given for the Legislature to eliminate or reorganize the office; however no action was taken on the recommendation, and no further audit of this office has been conducted.
- Governor’s Office of Economic Development Duties/Responsibilities Agency Overview